Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Walk 38. Twice

Walked GL twice after dropping kids off at school. It was no big deal. Yay to overcoming mental challenges! Light rain but not cold. I brought the wrong jacket and was worried I would get soaked. Luckily after the first time around the rain really let up, enough to take off my hood and hat and enjoy the day. Maybe it was a blessing? The clouds gathered and the rain started falling in earnest as I got back to the car.

At mile 4 my feet started to hurt. Yesterday when I pushed J in the stroller I stayed on the asphalt path and my feet hurt most of the time. I've been wearing cross trainer shoes without much cushioning or a stacked heel (haven't ordered the Altra's yet. Worried about sizing.) and my feet feel good if I stay on the gravel path or even better if I walk on grass/dirt.

I know I complain about Seattle a lot, but I have to admit where I'm able to walk is pretty darn great.
1. the "usual" loop just outside my front door where i walk on grassy parking strips and then along a long stretch of grass facing the Puget Sound.
2. GL with a gravel or dirt/grass path the entire lake (the asphalt path is where most folks walk but I stay off that as much as possible. [staying off the beaten path is what this blog is all about!]).
3. Discovery Park loop which is almost all dirt trail.

Being able to mostly walk on natural surfaces and stay off sidewalks or streets is important to me, important to this process. I think many of the benefits of walking come from walking how we were made to walk. On natural surfaces with feet in a natural position. And I feel so blessed I live where this is easily accessible to me. Maybe Seattle isn't so bad after all.

5.8 miles

No comments: